The Research Center for Biosciences & Health Technologies is a structure of COFAC (Cooperative Education and Cultural Animation, Crl.) founding body of the Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias (ULHT). The Universidade Lusófona is the main institution of the so-called Grupo Lusófona.
This is the largest private education group in Portugal and in the Lusophone space. Besides teaching in all fields of knowledge, this University has several research units. Many of these units are recognized by FCT and actively promote the creation and transfer of knowledge and skills.
The units have many ongoing projects, many of these in collaboration with various public and private organizations.
CBIOS’s brief history goes back to 2001 being born from the Pharmaceutical Sciences course infrastructure.
Initial R & D clusters were then created by gathering available expertise from pharmaceutical technology and biopharmaceutics. A fast synergistic growth between training and research was achieved, attracting other collaborations and expertise.
After 10 years (2011) those clusters have evolved to the current research unit.
CBIOS’s main goal is to develop and disseminate research in the field of health sciences and technologies, in close cooperation with ECTS of the Universidade Lusófona.
The priority objectives of the CBIOS
- Develop, promote, stimulate and disseminate research in Health Sciences;
- Develop research projects in fundamental or applied science, including translational research;
- Provide services to public or private entities, national or international, within the scientific and technological research;
- Contribute to the development of a critical mass in the various fields of health technologies via a continuous exchange of experiences, knowledge and scientific initiatives;
- Develop national and international networks of excellence through scientific partnerships;
- Provide a stimulating and supportive learning environment at CBIOS to MSc and PhD students from ECTS and other units of the Grupo Lusófona
- Ensure regular advising with institutions and national and foreign research centers and encouraging taking part in projects of common interest;
- Organize scientific events such as conferences and other public events contributing to share visions and knowledge.
- Skin Research
- Cancer Therapy
- Drug development and delivery
- Food and Nutrition Sciences
Competences and Capacities
- Novel therapeutical ingredients and bioactive agents (drugs, cosmetics, nutrients and medical devices):
- chemotherapy agents (chemical synthesis and natural origins)
- bioactive extracts, compounds and derivatives from medicinal plants for human and animal application
- Safety and Efficacy
- methodological development (from animal to in vitro and in silico models; from basic research to clinical trials)
- safety and efficacy of topical products; applied cosmetology
- Impact of nutrients in Human Health
- food safety
- Formulation and Delivery development
- transdermal drug delivery
- nanomedicine and nanotechnology
- Development of new formulations and concepts for food, beverages and dietary supplements
- Animal production and food safety